Monday, May 25, 2009

IAT test

I was initially excited to take the IAT test. I enjoy learning about myself and often take Myers Briggs type test in magazines, etc. Once into the test, however, the rapidness caused me some anxiety. I felt my dexterity was being tested, not just my racial preference. I definitely became nervous when I couldn't keep up with the expectation. I was wasn't surprised by my outcome because I think the originators of the test hypothesized the typical response and might have been trying to prove it. I don't have much knowledge of test design. Only one course in undergrad Psych. The dateline video didn't surprise me because I do believe that humans have a preference for the familiar, maybe all species do. If I was raised in Africa, I would probably have a preference for Africans. As we discussed in class, I was left with the question, "Why is it ok for African Americans to have racial pride and not Caucasians? And is it cultural pride as opposed to skin color pride. I am certainly proud of my Irish heritage...especially on St. Patrick's Day, but I can't tell the difference between many Irish decendents and English or French etc. The discussion helps me to understand the difference between equality and equity, but I am optimistic for or society that we will evolve into a place where there will eventually be equality.

No comments:

Post a Comment